Monday, July 22, 2013

Gamification

Gamification is all the rage. We all did it back in school. Teachers had giant plastic things they'd hang on a white board with pockets that held cards and we played Jeopardy! (or something like it) as a study aid. The entire class got involved all at once, we all helped each other out and reviewed material, and, somehow, it stuck a little bit better.

Now that I've grown up, not much has changed.

Okay, quite a bit has changed. I'm now the one charged with creating the game. And the object is no longer trying to get material to sink in for the purpose of passing a test. Most recently, it was all about highlighting how actions in business have direct consequences.

It all comes back to time entry. Time isn't entered, expenses aren't entered, but money still flows out the door and expenses have to be paid. I was charged with creating a game to show this. Enter 1,000 blank white cards. Or, as I like to call it, 10,000 blank white cards because we start out with all the blank white cards when starting a round of this game.

The last time I played this game was back in 2009. It was just a few nights before my wedding. And we had all had a bit too much tequila. The game was less focused on generating something fun to play later and more focused on stupid things you can get drunk people to do. Eventually, we all needed burritos and gave up on the game.

This gamification at the office would have to go much differently.

So, I went to my best friend, the spread sheet. I set up situations that let to consequences and rewards. A deck of 150 or so cards, a pile of fake money (yes, I cut out 1,000 fake $100 bills with a paper cutter on the weekend following the Fourth of July this year), and a few test plays later, and the game was born.

I have to admit, the game was a bit of a flop. It ran longer than I had wanted, and game play worked much different with a large group of people than it did for my husband and I. But, it all stuck. Money flew off the table on to the floor and was no longer available in the game. Actions had consequences, and my co-workers learned. I think. I hope.

More importantly, I learned. Test play has to happen with the number of people the game is intended for for it to work. Game play has to be let go and allowed to happen rather than discussing every point of the game itself. Sure, I'll try it again in a heart beat. I never knew the nerdy side of me that plays games might enjoy making one up from scratch. Next time, more play testing, and pre-made widgets.

Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment