Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Words

My writer friends will understand what I mean when I say I haven't found any words in far too long. Though most of my writer friends are far more prolific than I am, they too go for a while without finding words. I could go on for hours about reasons why I can't find words. Tax sea. School. A two year old who refuses to sleep normal hours. A husband who needs and deserves a break, but can't get one because of tax season, school, and a two year old who refuses to sleep.

Unfortunately, my reasons for not finding words are not so glamorous as a difficult emotional scene, a need to research, or wrapping up the final book in a series and thus saying goodbye to a long-loved and life-changing story and process. Nor am I experiencing a bit of writer's block. I find myself surrounded by stories to tell; by characters who want to dance and be heard. It's the reasons above that keep me from finding the words to bring those characters to life. The stare at a screen with hands on keyboard and make a bunch of noise while my fingernails clack out a world that may resemble my own, but is not.

Right now though, I have bus time as a good friend once called it. And I am thankful for bus time, and for the ability to look at story in a whole new light while on my phone. It may be tax season, and I may be a full time student and a mom, but I can still put my thumbs to work.

I'm coming words. Don't leave me now. I'm coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment