Friday, August 2, 2013

Making Things

I'm not what my office would call a "doodler."

I suppose I should qualify. I work for a hybrid advertising firm in Nampa, ID. We do everything in house; creative production, media buys, strategy. If it has to do with marketing, we do it in house, all under one roof. That's quite a bit of work, and someone has to do all the invoicing. That's my job. Okay, it's one of my jobs.

My point still stands. I'm not a "doodler."

I am, however, quite creative. I write. Not as much as I want, and I haven't written anything I actually like in quite sometime, but, I do write.

I also put things together. 3-D things. No, not clay or anything else that would be considered a sculpture. I love running fiber through my hands watching it turn in to something. Personally, spinning is my favorite. There's nothing quite like starting out with a bundle of fluff and coaxing it to a workable size and then watching the spindle on my spinning wheel gobble it up and turn it in to something useful. I like knitting too; sweaters and scarves and the like. And toys. Small little knit toys. Even before I had a kid to give them to.

Sewing is pretty great too. It's kind of like spinning; materials run through a machine to turn into something completely different. I have plans to cut and make a dress, a skirt, pants, a jacket, bags, purses, padfolios, tablet cases and covers, and, yes, toys for the little ones. Though, I really do prefer to knit those.

Lately though, I've been returning to one of my first 3-D loves: beads. As a kid, I made so many things from beads it's a bit sickening. My bead collection was one even for professional beaders to envy. I gave it away to someone at some point along the way. Seed beads were my favorite. Tiny beads and toddlers sound counter-intuitive, but, it oddly works out okay. At least, it does with my toddler. Better than spinning or knitting.

Pics or it didn't happen, right?

Soon as I'm happy with 'em. Till then, patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment